Sharp’s printers and photocopiers include many advanced security features to protect you from a multitude of information security threats and help you comply with data protection regulations.
While the issue of data security is high on the agenda of most organisations, printers are often overlooked and can be a potential weak spot in your document security, print security, device security and network security. Recent research conducted by Sharp shows that
21% of office workers confirmed that they do not have any security processes in place for printers or MFPs*
- making them a key target for hackers as they provide a gateway into your business and enable access to sensitive information contained in print and scan jobs.
* “Simple Printer Security for Small Business”, 2020, Sharp
Sharp and Bitdefender
Discover how Bitdefender can help protect your data
What is Bitdefender?
In the current cybersecurity landscape, threat actors are always probing and constantly switching tactics making businesses susceptible to malware incidents, data breaches and business disruption.
Bitdefender is an award-winning anti-malware engine that helps protect users against a full range of cyber threats. It implements multiple technologies and detection methods to ensure industry leading detection accuracy. Bitdefender complements native security features of the MFP, protecting it against known and unknown malware threats such as:
- Persistent Threats
Bitdefender's detection logic has been designed with real-life usage scenarios in mind, offering optimal performance and satisfactory user experience at all times.
How does it work?
Bitdefender is built into our Future Workplace MFPs' firmware. It uses machine learning algorithms and patented technologies to detect malware.
Scanning for viruses is scheduled every day by default in Sharp machines. Bitdefender also conducts scans real-time whenever data is sent or received, such as during a print job from the cloud, updating an application, running a firmware update etc. Users can also run a virus scan on demand from the control panel. All related activities will be recorded in the MFP Audit Log when enabled.
Virus scanning information will be displayed in the 'System Information' section of the control panel and urgent alerts will be displayed in the notification area.
Bitdefender is activated through BP-VD10ED Virus Detection Kit.
A3 Colour Photocopiers
BP-70C65, BP-70C55, BP-70C45, BP-70C36, BP-70C31
BP-60C45, BP-60C36, BP-60C31
BP-50C65, BP-50C55, BP-50C45, BP-50C36, BP-50C31, BP-50C26
A3 Black & White Photocopiers
BP-70M65, BP-70M55, BP-70M45, BP-70M36, BP-70M31
BP-50M65. BP-50M55, BP-50M45, BP-50M36, BP-50M31, BP-50M26
Protect your data
However, to be fully effective, information security measures need to protect your systems and valuable business information from all forms of unauthorised access, use, disclosure, modification or destruction:
- Physical threats – any physical actions and events that could cause serious loss or damage of information or systems, whether internal, like an unstable power supply, external, such as lightning strikes, or human, perhaps due to a disgruntled employee.
- Network threats – any activity that enables unauthorised access to your network, usually to access or compromise data, such as the introduction of viruses and malware to steal confidential information, like phishing campaigns, or to prevent access to your systems through Denial-of-Service (DoS) attacks or ransomware.
- Legal responsibilities – the protection of any sensitive data that a business holds, wherever it is held, such as employee records, customer information and account data, as required by prevailing government or industry regulations, such as GDPR.
How Sharp can help
Sharp recognises that information security is an essential part of your document and print management strategy.
Smart Security Service
Sharp recognises that information security is an essential part of your document and print management strategy. If commercially sensitive or business-critical information is stolen or compromised it can have a huge operational, financial and reputational impact.
We manage everything for you through our Complete Print Security service. This includes a bespoke profiling tool that is designed to assess data threats to your MFPs. Our security experts tailor a unique security configuration to match your organisation’s security policy. We then ensure that all of your Sharp printers and photocopiers are pre-configured, delivered, installed and integrated simply and as securely as possible.
As part of our innovative Complete Print Security service, we also proactively manage your entire print environment to protect your information. We will monitor your MFP fleet 24/7 using an industry-leading Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) system, so we can immediately identify any attempts at unauthorised access, system changes or other security alerts – and mitigate them.
Our powerful security solutions also mean you can access Sharp printers and photocopiers from your own smartphone or mobile device as easily and safely as an office PC. So you can enjoy hassle-free printing, simplified scanning and seamless information sharing wherever you are.
On-Device Security Features
Sharp printers and photocopiers include a suite of security features. These are designed to help you control and manage your print security policies. They also protect your information and document assets from a multitude of physical and cyber security threats, while helping you to meet your legal compliance requirements. They include:
- User Authentication before you can use a device
- Serverless Print Release so users can securely print and release jobs from up to 5 other devices on the same network
- Automatic Encryption of any documents stored on or emailed from the device
- Self-Healing Technology to safely recover a device in the event of an attack
- Flashing LED to remind you to retrieve your documents after scanning
- Whitelisting of applications and firmware that can communicate with the device, helping to prevent unauthorised access
- SSL/TLS Certificate Validation to check that third party servers communicating with your device are safe
- Audit Trail and job log features to provide a comprehensive review of all user activity