Can we trust apps on the App Store? Mostly, yes.
An app bought from the Apple App Store or Google Play is most likely going to be safe to download. Both Apple and Google have strong security procedures and strict guidelines in place to ensure the apps available are safe.
If downloading an app that doesn’t exist in either of these stores, then that’s when you should re-consider. Apps that are not accredited by the “Google App Store” aren’t necessarily full of bugs and links that will set viruses up on your devices, but they are still not advised.
Things to remember:
- Update existing apps. It is easy for hackers to take advantage of outdated software and design, and this puts you at risk of having your information exposed. You should regularly check for app updates in the app store.
- It is recommended that you enable push notifications and automatic updates. You will get a notification asking you to update, don’t ignore them as updates serve an important purpose.
- It is also recommended to delete apps you do not use. This also helps with your phone storage.
- Two-factor Authentication (2FA) is an important step in keeping your information and data safe.
Things to consider before downloading an app:
- Does the developer or company that has produced the app have a good reputation? Have they made other apps? If not, this could be a red flag.
- If they have created other apps, do they have good reviews? If not, stay away!
If anything feels out of the ordinary or not quite right, it’s best to avoid it.
Many up-and-coming app developers have to resort to using sites other than the accredited app stores as it’s commonly quite difficult to make it into them. Before purchasing an app outside of the App Store or Google Play, check:
- The web address and ensure the site is using HTTPS.
- Does the website have a padlock? This highlights that the website is secure.
If you have any doubts, it is best to not risk it.
Most people use the same few apps every day and the many others on our phones are just downloaded and not being used. It is good to have regular clean- up of apps, updating current apps and deleting the old ones as sometimes apps can be infected with malware and in some cases may have not been updated by the developer which gives cyber criminals a better chance of hacking the app and stealing personal and sensitive data.
Sharp offers many Cyber Security Services to protect your business, including User Awareness Training.